WordPress 3.8 should be released this Thursday, according to latest official news. It is also about time to check if plugins are working properly with new WP version. I just did a final check for WPJobBoard and everything seems to be working properly, if you are using WPJB 4.0.5 or newer you can safely upgrade your WP site … at least as far as WPJB goes.
The WordPress 3.8 update will include complete wp-admin panel redesign, if you would like to see how it integrates with WPJobBoard you can check it on WPJB Facebook Page, i posted there a couple of screenshots.
I am building (or in case of Twitter restarting) social media profiles for WPJobBoard, the idea is to use them as platforms to exchange ideas and help improve WPJobBoard.
In a few days i am planning to post on Facebook couple of screenshots from version 4.1 that will be available between December end and middle of January, this will be to best time to have your say and suggest improvements or even have some important feature developed (if this will be something that anyone can benefit from).
Of course on social media there will be also new version release announcements and additionally some extras/freebies for people who get involved … ohh and by the way, Twitter and Facebook are the places to get me on chat.
Below are links to WPJB social media profiles, if nothing else i would appreciate if you would like, follow or +1 WPJB.
WPJobBoard 4.0.6 is ready to be downloaded from client panel or via automatic update. This version fixes only bugs created in version 4.0.5, so it is a recommended update for anyone using 4.0.0 or newer.
So what was fixed?
- Fatal Error when viewing PayPal configuration in wp-admin
- When you trash Payment Method field using Custom Fields it is not possible to post a job in frontend nor in wp-admin.
- In Custom Fields, when editing one of builtin <select> fields (for example Job Type) then in the field Options tab, Fill Method is now disabled and set to “Default Values”. Most of the time changing default values for select fields does not make sense and breakes the job board, so i disabled it to avoid any confusion it can cause.
- When file upload is marked as required it is not possible to send job application even with file uploaded.
This should be the last update before version 4.1, that will come with ton of new features and improvements.
Did you know that in WPJobBoard Knowledge Base you can find (small) directory of plugins that extend WPJobBoard functionality?
If not, feel free to see the Snippets and Plugins database. Ok database is a strong word as there are only few plugins there, but still this are most requested extensions that will most probably (for some reason) never make it to WPJB core. On top of that, those plugins show how to use WPJobBoard hooks/filters and API, so they might be valuable resource when you will want to develop your own extension.
Since i do not believe in charging for every piece of code, all of the extensions in the KB are free to download, use and modify. Your welcome!
Lastly, maybe the extensions DB is missing something you would like to have, if so post it in the comments section, while i cannot guarantee we will develop all the ideas we will definitely take a look at the most requested ones.
WPJobBoard 4.0.5 was just released, you should see update notification in wp-admin panel soon (if you are using WPJB 4.0.3 or newer, otherwise you can download new version from client panel).
This update includes one of the most requested feature – Stripe integration. Stripe is a US based company that makes credit card payments easy (so basically the new feature is that WPJobBoard can now handle credit card payments). Users will be able to make payments without leaving your site.
Currently Stripe can work with businesses located in US, Canada, UK and Ireland, however they are quickly going global and already have beta programs for some of the EU countries and Australia.
WPJobBoard 4.0.5 also has improved and extended Payment API that allows to enable/disable and rename payment methods, so if you do not want to use Stripe (or PayPal) just disable it from wp-admin panel.
Other than that there is a slight update in the frontend templates (especially int forms and job/resumes details pages) and as always a couple of bug fixes and few new filters/hooks added.
WPJB 4.0.5 is on the way, in the meantime i would like to introduce you to a new WordPress plugin we developed recently: WPHelpDesk – WordPress Helpdesk Plugin. It does what the title says and nothing more.
Why another helpdesk / support ticket plugin? Well, as WPJB grows i needed some software that would help me with customer support. I had basically three requirements:
- can work inside WordPress (so basically i was looking for WordPress plugin)
- no fancy ticket number, statuses departments and so on, the conversation should look like normal email exchange (lets say i wanted GMail like experience).
- can be used by groups, that is plugin should make sure that every agent knows what to do.
When i started looking for solution that would fit my needs it turned out that all the available plugins are either: abandoned and not updated in years, are to complex in a way that they are building a barrier between customer and agent replying to ticket.
So, the decision was quite simple, lets build ticketing software for our own use and allow users to take advantage of it as well. I hope i got you at least somewhat interested, if so feel free to check out WPHelpDesk.
Version 4.0.4 has just been released, this update has mainly bug fixes so it is recommended upgrade for anyone who is using WPJobBoard 4.0.3 or older. If you are using version 4.0.3 you should see upgrade notification in wp-admin panel within 24 hours again.
If you are using version older than 4.0.3 you can download files from client panel and just overwrite all files.
Changes in version 4.0.4
- added Custom Fields editor for Company Registration/Edit form
- hiding Experience and Education fields when trashed
- categories and job types are now sorted by title instead of ID
- updated PayPal integration to work with HTTP 1.1
- implemented Custom Fields visibility in the frontend
- scripts and styles are now loaded with WPJB version
- extended list of allowed tags in textarea fields
- fixed E-mail Alerts not being sent
- fixed sort_order parameter in shortcodes
- fixed manual resumes approval on registration
- fixed verified employers access to resumes
- fixed saving meta data when posting a job in frontend (was breaking text formatting and geolocation)
- fixed compatibility with WPSuperCache plugin
- fixed Locations widget options not being saved properly
- fixed TwitterOAuth classes loading
- fixed filled jobs become invisible when you select to hide filled jobs
Some time ago i created in Knowledge Base Snippets and Plugins directory. This is basically a database of plugins that add either some functionality to WPJobBoard or some workarounds that are applicable only in few special cases.
The addons are being developed per user request, that is if some solution is requested two or more times it has chances to get into DB (or WPJB core). Of course all the addons are free to use and modify.
If you developed some WPJobBoard plugin that you would like to share with other users feel free to send it to me via contact form.
One thing i forgot to mention in 4.0.3 release post is that from now on, users with role Editor (or more preceisely with capability edit_pages) will be able to see “Job Board” menu in wp-admin panel, but not the “Settings (WPJB)” menu.
Who can see what in wp-admin panel.
In other words, Editors now can manage job board data (that is jobs, resumes, applications, candidates and employers), but they cannot configure WPJB, only administrator can do that. This was a common request so, yeah it is avaialble now.
Today, HostGator was (and maybe as i am writing this) is experiencing an outage, it started about 5 hours ago (at 5pm GMT+1).
The official WPJobBoard website was down as well as update server (so if you were trying to enter WPJB license in configuration you were probably unable to) and worst of all email server, if you will not receive response to your question within 24 hours counting from now please resend your question.